Ethiopia is not usually the first place people consider for vacations, but it should be. Ethiopia rewards visitors with stunning scenery, great food, world-renowned coffee, fascinating history and much more.
Ethiopia bonus facts often include its incredibly diverse landscape, history, and culture. Additionally, there is so much to see and do you may need a second visit to explore the intricacies and beauties that make up Ethiopia. Wild Frontiers offers a selection of Ethiopian tours and explorations of this eclectic country. While you're here, check out these amazing facts on what Ethiopia is famous for (A to Z):
- Axum – this UNESCO city in Northern Ethiopia was the original capital of the kingdom of Axum and is famous for its obelisks, the tallest being 24.6 meters high, weighing 1,760 tonnes.
- Bale Mountains – this stunning mountain range in the south of Ethiopia is one of the best places to see the Ethiopian Wolf.
- Wildlife – Ethiopia has a variety of unique wildlife, from the Gelada baboon (below), a species of old world monkey found in the highlands, to the Simien Fox.
- Xtraordinary Scenery
- Yeha – the temple of Yeha is the oldest standing structure in Ethiopia, dating back to the 7th century BC. The bronze age archaeological site shows evidence of contact with South Arabia.
- Zion Church – the Ethiopian orthodox St Mary’s of Zion Church, situated in Axum, is the country’s most important church, and claims to house the original Ark of the Covenant.