19th September 2012
Kerala has been voted as one of the fifty must see destinations of the world, by the National Geographic Traveller, under the category of Paradise found - surely one of the best titles and the one which could inspire a million holidays.
But what are you going to do whilst you are there, here's my top list of classics and a few new things to inspire your visit;
1) Enjoy a cruise through Kerala’s backwaters on a traditional houseboat for one night.
I know its what everyone does, but it really is a paradise on earth and a great way to see village life in India as it floats past you.
2) Immerse yourself in Fort Cochin and walk through the old town.
Don't overlook the town and just take a beach holiday, this old town is beautiful and well worth a visit to learn a little more about the history of the area.
3) Relax on one of Kerala’s fine sandy beaches, such as the beach at Kovalam or Nileshwar.
Ok - now you can relax! Take a look at my first blog about accomodation in the area to find some incredible boutique hotels on this stunning shoreline.
4) Dine at the Bruntons Boatyard restaurant in Cochin.
It was fine dinning and the best food I had whilst I was travelling in India.
5) Visit Munnar, the scenery and landscape are stunning, with it's rolling hills of tea plantations and forests.
Going up into the mountains will show you a completly different side of this beautiful region, you'll never look at a cup of tetleys in the same way!